Monday 23 March 2009

Mothers day and a big bridge

Sunday was Mothers Day and super mum to the girls and Wife to me Jo was very patient while I did my 20 mile final long run. Jo is a great Mum who looks after us all making us feel safe, loved and happy... we'd all be lost without her. so Happy Mothers Day from Me and the girls.

I decided for this big run to go to Tower Bridge and practice my wave - just in case I'm on TV. I was at the Tower Hotel for a Headship course on the Friday and got a bridge lift for a Naval Destroyer coming through... fantastic sight unless you were on a run... then you had to stop. Inspired by this and looking at the bridge over lunch I decided I was going to run to it.

I went there, (7 miles), then back to Greenwich, (14), then on to Woolwich and back to Catford down the South Circular (20.5). When making this route I forgot that I was advised that the start of the marathon is all downhill... "so don't go to quick".

The end of my run on Sunday was the start of the marathon, but backwards, so was therefore all uphill... and it really hurt... at mile 17/8 my toe seemed to explode and one of my nails which was purple is now black... but numb... so thats OK I suppose.

Anyway I got home... and really enjoyed the run. Because there was lots to see... as well as the bridges and Tower... I passed two places that my Father (Danny Cregan) had worked when he first left school. The first was the Seager Whisky Distillery - in Deptford and the second at Tower Hill was a Bonded warehouse somewhere underground.

The Seager building seems to have been demolished but the outside facade is in place. This will form part of a new landmark building - see pic 2 - according SE8 expert the Deptford Dame on her blog.
While running along I remember my Dad telling me how he would go to Ronnie Scotts - where he was a life member, then walk to work in Deptford and be first in... I thought this was very impressive a bit like going to the North Pole - which was another thing my Dad applied to do - and 8-9 miles with no sleep and a days work to follow was pretty impressive...

However running has shown me that a lot journeys we make by bus, car, train etc... could be made faster and for free on foot. Especially for London school children who will wait with a free oyster card for 30mins to make a journey which can walked in 20mins.....

No comments:

Post a Comment